Nothing is better than going on vacation and relaxing in your cozy accommodations while you’re away in Vancouver, BC. There’s only one thing that can make it better — and that’s having your furry best friend along with you on your trip. While some hotels don’t allow pets, fortunately many hotels in Vancouver are dog-friendly because this is a city that loves dogs! There are even hotels who cater to your dog’s needs, providing him with everything from food to special doggie bowls and toys. Here, we’ve compiled a list of the best dog-friendly hotels in Vancouver so that you and your furry friend can enjoy a vacation together.
The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver offers a great location at 900 West Georgia Street, right in the heart of the downtown area. This historic hotel not only offers luxury accommodations for you, but also for your pooch. Canine guests can stay for an additional fee of $25 CAD per night. Note that you can’t leave your pooch unattended in your room, so plan on sightseeing with him. The hotel offers guests:
- A welcome mat in the room for dogs
- Doggie dishes
- Welcome treats for dogs
- A written guide to dog-friendly activities in the area
- Pet beds in Fairmont Gold rooms
- A gourmet menu specifically for dogs
Not only does this hotel cook for your pooch, providing everything from meat-based dishes to frozen treats, they also have canine ambassadors. That’s right, you can meet the resident pooches of the hotel when you check in. So, even if your pup can’t come along on your trip, you can still visit the hotel’s canines daily.
When considering dog-friendly hotels in Vancouver, another great choice is the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver. Located in the vibrant downtown at 845 Burrard Street, this luxury hotel allows pets and provides various concierge services for canine guests too. Here, you’ll find:
- A dog-specific gourmet menu for pups
- Dog-sitting services for guests
The hotel does have some rules for four-legged guests:
- Dogs must be on a leash around the hotel.
- Per Vancouver law, you must pickup after dogs when walking them in the area.
- There is a $40 CAD non-refundable pet fee for the stay.
- Only two dogs, each 45 pounds (20.41 kg) or less, are allowed in each room.
- Dogs can’t be left unattended in rooms.
The hotel deep cleans rooms after pets check out, which accounts for the non-refundable fee. But, you may be charged extra fees if your pooch damages the room.
If you’re looking for luxurious dog-friendly hotels in Vancouver, then the Loden Hotel is for you. Located at 1177 Melville Street, it offers a great location between the downtown and Coal Harbour. Go for strolls by the harbour with your pooch and be treated like royalty at the hotel, which has no restrictions on the size of your dog. For dogs, the hotel offers:
- A free leash to use on walks
- A plush doggie bed
- A food and water bowl for your pup
- Freshly baked dog biscuits
- A dog-friendly walking map of the area
- The latest issue of Modern Dog Magazine
- Clean-up bags for dogs
There is a $45 CAD fee per stay per pet, which covers cleaning and possible damage. The hotel also recommends not leaving your pooch unattended in the room. As a plus, hotel staff will remember your pooch’s name and greet him whenever they see him.
Conveniently located at 1154 Gilford Street, The Sylvia is a renovated historic hotel with plenty of charm for you and your pooch. That’s because this pet-friendly hotel is considered a heritage building that’s over 100 years old. And, it was the first pet-friendly hotel in Vancouver, making it a must-stay for canine aficionados.
Here, you’ll get a lovely view of the beautiful English Bay. Plus, the hotel is located a short walk from Stanley Park, perfect for an off-leash day of fun with your pup. Most importantly, this hotel is popular with doggie pet parents because they don’t charge an additional fee for four-legged guests. Note, though, that there is a limit of two dogs per room.
Stay in style on Granville Island at the luxurious Granville Island Hotel located at 1253 Johnson Street with your pooch. The hotel allows guests to stay with dogs in their standard rooms. Because these rooms are tiled, cleanup after a day at the nearby parks or Public Market is a breeze. Dogs can also enjoy the outdoors on the convenient balconies.
The hotel offers various amenities for pups, including a gift basket filled with dog products from Granville Island Pet. This company specializes in making homemade products for dogs. In the basket, you may find:
- Dog treats
- Dog toys
- A dog leash
- Other dog-related accessories
Nearby the hotel, about 10 minutes away by foot, you’ll find an off-leash area for your pup to enjoy. Before booking, note that they allow dogs who are 50 pounds (22.68 kg) or less. You’ll also need to pay a charge for pets of $25 CAD per night during your stay.
Located minutes away from the Rogers Arena and Vancouver Convention Centre, the Hyatt Regency offers modern amenities for you and your pup at 655 Burrard Street in the bustling downtown area. Here, your pup can stay in one of the lower-floor rooms designated for dogs. When you arrive, you’ll receive:
- An ID tag for your dog, containing the hotel’s contact information
- A dog bed
- A dog bowl
While dogs can stay in the hotel room unattended, you must crate your dog — in a crate that you bring with you — when he’s not under your supervision. In addition, the hotel requires that dogs don’t make excessive noise and go to sleep by 8 p.m. Other requirements include:
- Dogs must be under 50 pounds (22.68 kg).
- Two dogs can stay in the room if they are under 75 pounds (34.02 kg) combined in weight.
- Make reservations two weeks ahead of time because pet-friendly rooms are limited. This way, you’ll be more likely to get a room.
- There is a fee of $100 CAD for the first 6 days of the stay. Additionally, the hotel charges a separate fee of $100 CAD for days 7 through 30.
- Your dog can’t be present during housekeeping service. Therefore, schedule this service when you aren’t in your room.
- The hotel provides a special door tag warning staff that there is a dog present. So, you need to keep this on your door during your stay.
Tips on Staying in Dog-Friendly Hotels in Vancouver
Whether you’re enjoying the downtown area or the great dog-friendly hiking nearby, vacationing in Vancouver, BC is a blast. Having your furry friend with you during your stay makes it even more fun, but there are a few things to keep in mind when booking your stay.
- Always call or email the hotel ahead of time to let them know you are bringing your dog. Many dog-friendly hotels in Vancouver have a select number of rooms designated for pets to stay in. These rooms book up quickly.
- Check with the hotel to see if there are restrictions about your dog’s size or breed. Some hotels don’t allow large breeds like Great Danes or Newfoundlands.
- Arrange for someone to look after your pup if you plan on sightseeing without him. Many dog-friendly hotels in Vancouver don’t allow you to leave your pooch unattended in your room and may not offer doggie daycare. If that’s the case, look into getting a dog walker or dog sitter to watch after your dog in Vancouver.
- Brush your dog up on his manners before staying in your hotel. Keep in mind that most hotels will ask you to leave if your dog behaves aggressively, isn’t properly potty trained or barks excessively. And, if your pup destroys your room due to destructive behavior, they’ll charge you for the damages.
While some dogs love to travel, not all dogs do. So, you may want to consider boarding your pooch with a caring pet sitter from GoFetch while you’re in Vancouver. This way, you’ll each have an enjoyable vacation.
Have you stayed in any dog-friendly hotels in Vancouver with your canine companion? Share your experiences with us in the comments section!